Saturday, June 29, 2013

For the Madness

I've been working on some super-fun collaborations lately, and I'm so excited to share this first one! I've painted a few posters for my friends the Mile Markers, but this spring they asked me to create artwork for their second cd, For the Madness. They wanted linocut prints, a medium that is still a challenge for me (I have so much to learn!), but one with a handmade quality that works well with their folky-Americana sound.


The girls already had wonderful images in mind evoking madness~ a full moon, bare trees and crows~ and some possible cures.


They send me recordings of the songs for inspiration. So, to the poetry of broken hearts, rambling free spirits and a medicine man, I carved five blocks in all for the cd and packaging.


Looking good so far... and a few weeks later


it came to life! Graphic designer Blake Denney worked magic with color and texture, giving the prints depth and an enchanted feeling~ moonlight shines from the medicine bottle and whiskey jug!


I feel so honored to have helped Julie, Bevin, Sal and Nicki bring this beautiful project to realization. These women are so very, very talented and kind, with a future brighter than the brightest full moon. Please give them a listen!

No comments: